1953-04-16 Page 24
Gordon Jackson Heads Rotary At Claresholm
(By Herald Correspondent)
CLARESHOM-- Gordon Jackson was elected president of the local Rotary Club. Other officers are: secretary, Regis Morkin; vice-president, Fred Anderson; treasurer, Walter Wiig and directors, H. A. ("Duke") Ferguson and Fred Pamenter. J. F. Hamshaw, chairman of the nominating committee, brought in the above slate.
Fred Anderson was honored by the club for having three years' perfect attendance. President Harold Fairburn announced that the Red Cross blood donors' clinic will be held here April 29 and a women's organization will assist with arrangements.
THE TOWN engineer, Morris Spring was in charge of surveying the property at the north side of town and just west of the highway purchased from Andrew Gawn for the erection of a drive-in theatre by the Claresholm Drive-In Theatre Company. Construction will start as soon as conditions are favorable and its expected the theatre will open early in the summer.
SPECIAL anniversary services were held in the United Church Sunday and the anniversary dinner was held in Harrison hall Monday. Three sittings were necessary and the dinners were served by the Senior Women's Association, with Mrs. Ralph Bothoras and Mrs. Reg Loney receiving at the door an Mrs. Wm. Teskey as the treasurer.
Rev. W. G. Dalton asked the blessing. The C.G.I.T. with their leader, Mrs. Walter Ashworth, assisted in serving and Stanley Darch showed moving pictures.
A committee consisting of Edgar Fenton, D. A. Mouser, J. G. Dickinson, Stanley Darch and D. L. Reynolds, appointed at a congregational meeting, are reviewing the building program and will bring a report to a general meeting in the near future of their findings regarding costs of different types of construction and plans.
A MODERN BANK building for the local branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce was opened on the corner of Railway Street and Third Avenue, Saturday, when the public was invited to inspect the premises. The one-storey brick building with a total floor space of 2,700 square feet constructed on modern lines with many windows is a pleasant contrast to the old two-storey white frame structure built on the same site in 1905. The old building is now being converted into living quarters for bank employees.
Tea was served the 600 people who called during the afternoon and Mr. Hamshaw assisted by G. J. MacGowan and C. E. Browne, conducted the guests on tours of the bank and Mrs. J. F. Hamshaw was hostess. Sharing honors at the tea table were Mrs. F. W. Yeats, Mrs. F. K. Sansom, Mrs. G. J. MacGowan. Members of the staff who served the guests were Mrs. Jack Malchow, Miss Madelaine Paulso, Miss Jean Waack, Miss Virginia Beaubier, Miss Dorothy Anderson, Miss Joyce Vadnais.
Special guests who attended the bank opening were Keith B. Smith, of Calgary, superintendent of Alberta branches of the Canadian Bank of Commerce; C. F. Smith, Calgary, assistant superintendent; P. W. D. Stopford, Calgary; V. McLeod, High River; C. B. Thomas and Mrs. Thomas, Stavely; T. L. Halpin and Mrs. Halpin, Fort Macleod; M. H. Smith and Mrs. Smith, of Lethbridge; and K. J. Wolstenholme, assistant manger and Mrs. Wolstenholme, Lethbridge; and Geraldine Jenkins, accountant, Fort Macleod.
Charles Stollery, superintendent of Poole Construction, Calgary; Harry Timms of Calgary, engineer of Poole Construction, who was in charge of the building, were present.
Saturday evening the staff and guests met in the new staff room for a farewell party for C. E. Browne, who leaves at the end of the month for Dawson Creek where he has been transferred. His place here will be taken by Robert Stewart from the Gleichen branch but whose home is Claresholm.
Extracted by J. Kynman 2014-10-12