1953-05-29 Page 31
14-Bed Hospital Annex At
(By Herald Correspondent)
ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE-- The new 14-bed addition to the $200,000 Municipal hospital was officially opened by the Hon. A. J. Hooke, minister of economic affairs and local member, and Dr. M. G. McCallum of the department of public health, before a gathering of more than 400. Owing to rain and impassable roads, no one was able to come in from anywhere off the gravel.
Howard Williams of Chedderville, chairman of the hospital board, was master of ceremonies, and John Reid, on behalf of the Canadian Legion, planted a tree to commemorate the Coronation year.
MR. WILLIAMS introduced Mrs. Emily Wood, matron; the other board members, Robert McCallum, Leslieville; Mrs. Eahl Godkin, Butte; William Fisher, Ferrier; and Robert Spoor, Rocky; the secretary-treasurer, Ralph Sinclair; the nurses and staff; Dr. N. Mellor and Dr. S. S. Hein, Rocky; Dr. A. C. Coppock, Eckville; the architect, Neil McKernan, Edmonton; the contractor, A. A. Sundquist, Red Deer; Mrs. B. J. Killick of Rocky Mountain House, matron of the first hospital opened here in 1938; Mrs. Walter Good of Red Deer, who was the first patient, and her son Edward Good, the first baby born in the hospital.
A telegram was read from Rev. R. K. Peck, of Edmonton, congratulating the district on such progress in hospitalization in 15 years. Mr. Peck was pastor of the Presbyterian church here from 1933 to 1940 and negotiated with the Women's Missionary Society of thePresbyterian Church in 1936 to have them build, then helped to supervise the construction in 1937 and 1938. At that time, in the midst of the depression, the community raised $4,000 and the missionary society paid the rest.
LOCAL CLERGY, Canon T. B. Winter, Rev. A. L. Sutherland and Rev. M. J. Kemery gave prayers; then Mr. Hooke unveiled a plaque in memory of Dr. A. C. Greenaway, who served this district for 21 years before his death last October.
Then the matron, Mrs. Wood, cut the ribbon, the building was officially opened and visitors were conducted through the hospital by the staff and board members, and tea was served by the Ladies' Auxiliary.
THE FIRST HOSPITAL, a ten-bed one, was opened here in 1938 and a year later, the Missionary Society provided an eleven-bed addition. In 1945, they sold the building to the local hospital district and that year, a large sun porch was added.
But still the hospital was not large enough and last summer work was started on a 14-bed addition, and the old part was thoroughly overhauled and renovated.
Today, Rocky Mountain House has one of the most modern and fully equipped hospitals of any town in Alberta. It serves an area 40 miles to the west, 40 miles south, 20 miles north and east.
Extracted by J. Kynman 2014-11-06